Tuesday, August 19, 2008

St. John Eudes

St. John Eudes (1601-1680) is the founder of
the modern public devotion to the Two Hearts.
It was his mission to organize the scriptural,
theological, patristic, and liturgical sources
relating to the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary
and to popularize them with the approbation of
the Church. His chief writings on this topic were:
The Admirable Childhood of the Most Holy Mother
of God, The Admirable Heart of the Mother of God,
the Life and Kingdom of Jesus, The Sacred Heart
of Jesus, The Admirable Heart of Mary. Included
among his works was a mass and office for the
Sacred Heart of Jesus, and one for the
Admirable Heart of Mary. He was the first to
dedicate churches in the world to the Sacred
Hearts of Jesus and Mary.
















A Salutation to Mary
by St. John Eudes, C. J. M.
Hail Mary, Daughter of God the Father;
Hail Mary, Mother of God the Son;
Hail Mary, Spouse of the Holy Ghost;
Hail Mary, Temple of the Most Holy Trinity.
Hail Mary, white Lilly of the resplendent and ever
unchanging Trinity.
Hail Mary, red Rose of Paradise.
Hail Mary, Virgin full of sweetness and humility,
from whom the King of Heaven willed to be
born and to suckle at the breast.
Hail Mary, Virgin of virgins.
Hail Mary, Queen of martyrs, who spent
Thy life for Heaven while on this earth.
Hail Mary, Queen of my heart, my sweetness, my
life and my entire hope.
Hail Mary, Mother most amiable.
Hail Mary, Mother most admirable.
Hail Mary, Mother of fair love.
Hail Mary, Mother of mercy.
Hail Mary, conceived without sin.
Thou art full of grace, the Lord is with Thee;
blessed art Thou among all women, and blessed is
the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus.
Blessed be Thy spouse, Saint Joseph.
Blessed be Thy father, Saint Joachim.
Blessed be Thy mother, Saint Anne.
Blessed be Thy adopted son, Saint John.
Blessed be Thy Angel, Saint Gabriel.
Blessed be the Eternal Father who elected Thee.
Blessed be Thy Son, who has loved Thee.
Blessed be the Holy Ghost, who has espoused Thee.
And blessed forever be those who love Thee and
bless Thee.
O Blessed Virgin, bless us all, in the Name of Thy
dear Son. Amen.


Prayer to the Sacred Heart

by Saint John Eudes

Oh, how good and delightful it is to dwell in the Heart of Jesus! Thy Heart, good Jesus, is a precious treasure, a precious pearl which we have found by digging in the field of Thy Body. Who will cast aside this pearl? Nay, rather I will give all I have, I will exchange all my thoughts and desires and purchase it.

I will cast all my care on the Heart of the Lord Jesus and He will provide for me without fail. I will adore in this temple, this Holy of Holies, this Ark of the Testament, and I will praise the name of the Lord, saying with David, "I have found my heart that I may pray to my God. And I have found the heart of my King, my Brother, my Friend, the benign Jesus, and why shall I not adore?" Assuredly I shall pray. For His Heart is mine. I will say it boldly, for Christ is my Head, is not what belongs to my Head mine? Therefore as the eyes of my corporal head are truly my eyes, so is my spiritual heart my heart. Therefore, it is well with me: truly I have but one Heart with Jesus and what wonder that there should be but one heart with the multitude of believers.

No comments: